Friday, July 01, 2005

Texas Postcard Gallery



This is Frank's Restaurant in Schulenberg, Texas, as it appeared probably in the 1960s or early 1970s. It was located on Highway 90, the old highway that everyone going between Houston and San Antonio used before Interstate 10 was built. When the Interstate came in, Frank's closed the location seen on this postcard and moved to be where the action was.

Frank's was an old-time Texas restaurant, and I visited it often as a kid because relatives on both my mom's and dad's side of the family lived in Schulenberg. In fact, my dad worked at Frank's for awhile when he was in high school, doing dishes and the like.

I was too young to remember much about the old Frank's, but I've eaten in a number of places since then which have reminded me of it, such as the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls. Lots of chrome and formica, big slabs of homemade pie, chicken fried steaks that would choke a horse -- if you live in Texas, you know the type of place. R.I.P. to old Frank's. Another victim of the Interstate
.

No comments: