Friday, May 27, 2005

The New "Wave" in Snacks

Let this one win the award for blog post about the most trivial subject ever -- see if I care.

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday buying groceries and a copy of the latest edition of the Weekly World News to see what Bat Boy was up to, and displayed on the little "impulse buy" shelf they have by the checkout stand I noticed what seems to me to be an entirely new product: microwave pork rinds.

Am I just behind the trends as usual? Has anyone else seen this stuff, or used it?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "I would never eat dried pig intestine" snobs. I love pork rinds, flavored or plain. But I just can't figure out why someone would want or need to microwave them.

With microwave popcorn, it was an issue of saving time and energy. Instead of having to heat oil over a stove and contantly shake the pan while the kernels popped, half of them landing on the floor, microwave popcorn made it so quick, easy and non-messy.

But, do people prepare their own pork rinds at home? Is this the market for this new product? You know, "Gosh, I love pork rinds, but I hate having to catch the hog, kill it, rip its guts out, fry them up, then take all that time to dry them out on the clothes line. This is so much easier with these little microwave bags -- now I finally have time to read Proust!"

Uh, am I crazy, or aren't pork rinds already available ready to eat in bags? Is there a need to dry out the guts, then freeze dry them so they can be heated and re-energized in a microwave?

Can microwave peanuts, corn chips and beef jerky be far behind?

2 comments:

nightfly said...

BBQ-flavored corn chips are the wave of the future. (And there is something wonderfully oxymoronic about "microwaved bbq ribs" or some such.)

jenA said...

i thought it was just the outside skin of the hog. it's the intestine? should i tell aunt nita?