Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Deep Breath...Take Two

Okay, as the old phrase goes, it's time to &*$# or get off the pot.

I have been in a blogging limbo for three or four weeks, wondering what to do. The long story short is this. I got a great thrill out of blogging, but that was the problem. I was devoting WAY to much time to it, committing myself (in my own mind) to make at least one post a day, if not more. I was throwing in everything but the kitchen sink in an effort to do something every day, and try to keep an audience. At some point, the well ran dry.

Also, I became somewhat obsessed with the numbers game. How many visits did my site get today? How many comments did my last post get? None so far. (15 minutes later) Let me check back again and see if anyone's commented. Nobody? (20 minutes later) Surely someone's commented by now! No one? (I'll wait 10 minutes and check again...)

Between the time I was spending writing posts -- and rewriting posts -- and then checking back for hits and comments on my posts, not to mention checking other blogs I loved, commenting on THEM, then checking back those to see if THOSE comments had been commented on, I was using almost every available minute of "free" time blogging. And what's worse, more and more of that time wasn't truly free. I was stealing time away from things that should have been untouchables -- like family and work -- to fuel my blogging obsession.

So, no more of that insanity. I can't handle it anymore. Besides, I have some new projects -- two historical research writing projects and some family history stuff -- that's incredibly exciting to me, and that's taking up a lot of my free time now.

But, the undeniable fact is, I still enjoy blogging, and I enjoy interacting with the friends I've made through the blogosphere. So here's what I'm going to try to do -- a classic in the art of compromise. Like an addict trying to leave the halfway house for the first time, I'm going to start off by trying to do just one post a week -- maybe a "Week in Waco" wrapup -- and see how that goes. If that works, then maybe I can increase things slowly, if the mood hits me. I know this sounds incredibly self-indulgent and anal, and I know the main thought now from you probably is, "Do I care?" But for those few of you who might care, that's my plan. Please stick with me -- maybe Muley still has a few kicks left in him.

And besides, I can finally get that picture of Rita off the top of this site!

9 comments:

marta said...

Smile,,you got a comment! LOL

Drew said...

Finally, no more Rita. Glad to see you're taking this to a healthier level. Best advice (although late, seems you've already caught on) is just to blog when the mood strikes you.

Anonymous said...

My blog has grown so much that it dictates everything. I get roughly 400-500 hits per day and it's nothing but turmoil to maintain. I figure I've got about another month left in me and then I'm gone. We get it Muley, no worries.

Nettie said...

It's OK, this blogging thing is addicting. Especially for those of you who has actual lives.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan. I can definitely see the danger in spending too much time at it. I have to limit myself too--and it's kind of like sugar, the more you eat, the more you want, the less you eat, the less appealing it becomes. As a weekly treat, probably a terrific hobby. I'll follow your example if I ever find myself becoming obsessive. Way to take charge!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Was that Part 3 of "I've Lost That Blogging Feeling"? Some of us had been waiting...
I've enjoyed your writing, and I'll check in once a week or so to see what's up.

jenA said...

woohoo. nice to read you again. hit me up for fl work if you got it. could use the mad money.

Muley said...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, guys. It's good to be back.

Katalina B said...

Glad to see you back! (I've been absent myself)...that's the way it goes tho!