Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rancid Rhymes

Here's something I snagged off a departmental newsletter recently. It's supposedly the winners in a Washington Post competition, asking readers to write a two-line rhyme with the most romantic first line, followed by the least romantic second line.

1. My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife:

Marrying you has screwed up my life.

----------

2. I see your face when I am dreaming.

That's why I always wake up screaming.

----------

3. I thought that I could love no other

-- that is until I met your brother.

----------

4. Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.

But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's
empty and so is your head.

----------

5. I want to feel your sweet embrace;

But don't take that paper bag off your face.

----------

6. I love your smile, your face, and your eyes

Darn, I'm good at telling lies!

----------

7. My love, you take my breath away.

What have you stepped in to smell this way?

2 comments:

sarahgrace said...

Always good for a chuckle. I have to admit, I think number 4 is my fave.

Muley said...

Yes, a great comeback to that classic line!